NY/NJ Baykeeper Fights Big Polluters
For the past 100 years, Exxon’s petroleum waste pollution within its Linden and Bayonne sites has destroyed approximately 1,700 acres of delicate salt marsh, freshwater wetlands, upland meadows, and streams. These two sites represent the largest hazardous waste sites in NJ. The Bayonne site alone has over 7 million gallons of oil floating on top of ground water.
The damage caused by Exxon was estimated to cost $8.9 billion, according to NJ Department of Environmental Protection, for the excavation, restoration, off-site mitigation, and compensation for lost public resources.
NY/NJ Baykeeper filed to intervene in the case but the court denied our request. However our attorneys at the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) were allowed to participate in the oral arguments as a “friend of the court.” We argued that it is important that the public’s voice be heard and that wetlands, waterways and habitat are restored. Unfortunately, the court upheld the proposed settlement despite overwhelming public opposition.
Thanks to you, we generated 2,532 comments from New Jersey residents opposing the $225 million settlement.
- Judge: Environmentalists, Lezniak Can’t Intervene in Exxon Mobil case, Tom Johnson, NJ Spotlight, July 14, 2015
- Judge Denies Groups’ Efforts to Intervene in ExxonMobil Case, AP, 101.5, July 13, 2015
- Christie Administration Failed Public on Exxon Deal, Groups Tell Judge, SP Sullivan, NJ.com, July 10,2015
- Exxon New Jersey Settlement Under Fire Again as Environmentalists Seek to Join Lawsuit, Maria Gallucci, International Business Times, June 10, 2015
- Exxon, State Move to Block Environmental Groups from Testifying Against $225 Million Settlement, Jim O’Neill, The Record, July 7, 2015
- No Evidence of Collusion in Exxon Pollution Deal, State Lawyers Say, SP Sullivan, NJ.com, June 7, 2015
- Environmentalists File in NJ Court to Intervene in $225M Exxon Settlement, Scott Fallon, The Record, June 10, 2015
- 9,000 Letters, Emails Protest Exxon Settlement, Jim O’Neill, The Record, June 9, 2015
- Opponents Blast Christie’s Exxon Deal as State Prepares to Send to Judge, SP Sullivan, NJ.com, June 5, 2015
- Exxon Mobil Agreement Horrific, Joseph Passantino, Hudson Reporter, April 15, 2015
- NJ’s Settlement with Exxon: Good Deal or a Dirty One, Michael Symons, Asbury Park Press, April 10, 2015
- New Criticism After New Jersey Posts Text of Exxon Settlement, Benjamin Weiser, New York Times, April 7, 2015
- Opponents Vow to Fight Exxon Settlement Before It Goes Before Judge, SP Sullivan, NJ.com, April 7, 2015
- A Gift to ExxonMobil? Democracy Now, Bob Hennelly, March 20, 2015
- NJ Lawmakers Say Christie’s Exxon Deal Stinks, The Take Away, Bob Hennelly, March 19, 2015
- NYC Lawmakers Blast Controversial NJ Exxon Deal, City and State, Bob Hennelly, March 16, 2015
- State Senate Moves on Several Fronts to Block Exxon Mobil Settlement, NJ Spotlight, Tom Johnson, March 10, 2015
- Report Details Why New Jersey Originally Sought $8.9 Billion from Exxon, The Record, Scott Fallon and Jim O’Neill, March 9, 2015
- Christie Aid Took Political Trip Before Exxon Settlement, WNCY Radio, Matt Katz, March 5, 2015
- Shortchanging New Jersey by Billions, New York Times, Bradley Campbell, March 4, 2015
- Why New Jersey Settled a Big Oil Spill Case for Only $250 Million, The Brian Lehrer Show, WNYC Radio, March 2, 2015
- Administration reportedly Settles $8.9B Exxon Lawsuit in a Hurry for Only $250M, NJ Spotlight, Tom Johnson, March 2, 2015
- Exxon Settlement Anger Environmentalists, Lawmakers, NJTV, Brenda Flanagan, March 2, 2015
- Baykeeper Questions Exxon Mobil Settlement, News 12 – Kane in Your Corner, February 28, 2015
- NJ May Settle Multi Billion Lawsuit Against Exxon for Just Millions, Reports Say, NJ.com, SP Sullivan, February 27, 2015
- NJ Agrees to $250 Pollution Settlement from Exxon; State Had Sought $8.9 Billion, Bergen Record, Scott Fallon and Jim O’Neill, February 27, 2015
- Exxon Settles $9 Billion Pollution Case in New Jersey for Far Less, New York Times, Benjamin Weiser, February 27, 2015