Coastal Restoration Internship
Organization: NY/NJ Baykeeper
Job Position: Coastal Restoration Intern
Start and End Date: May 15th – August 31st (flexible with college schedule) Location: Monmouth County
NY/NJ Baykeeper’s Coastal Restoration Program is looking for a college student interested in pursuing a career in environmental sciences, marine biology, or other related fields. Qualified applicants will assist NY/NJ Baykeeper Restoration staff, Meredith Comi (Coastal Restoration Program Director) and Amanda Boddy (Coastal Restoration Project Manager) with all aspects of the restoration program.
This position will be based out of NY/NJ Baykeeper’s Hazlet Office (1222 Rt. 36, Hazlet, NJ 07730), but will require travel to our aquaculture facility located on Naval Weapon Station Earle Waterfront Complex (located in Leonardo, NJ), Leonardo State Marina (102 Concord Ave, Leonardo, NJ, 07737), and various locations throughout Monmouth County.
Responsibilities of Intern
Applicants will gain valuable field experience and first-hand knowledge of working on restoration projects in the most urban estuary in the world.
Applicants will learn to maintain and perform aquaculture operations; use, maintain, and calibrate various water quality monitoring instruments; interpret water quality parameters; identify and measure different marine species; implement various restoration techniques; perform various field studies for sedimentation, biodiversity, and oyster survivorship and growth.
As a Coastal Restoration Intern your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform daily tasks at the aquaculture facility (approximately 1 hour per day, 7 days a week during oyster setting).
- Tasks include: feeding oysters, taking growth and mortality measurements, tank water quality sampling, and tank maintenance.
- Calibrating and maintaining the YSI (weekly).
- Assist with field preparation.
- Assist with field work on land, in the water, and on the boat.
Data entry from current field studies and labanalysis.
- Assist with data entry and analysis from previous years field and lab studies.
- Assist with data analysis and statistical analysis.
- Attend various events on behalf of NY/NJ Baykeeper’s Coastal Restoration Program.
- Must have a vehicle and be able to travel to Monmouth County.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be able to pass a Department of Defense background check.
- Must be able to work several weekend days per month when oysters are in the aquaculture tanks (usually a total of 6 to 8 weeks between July and October).
- The position requires working outdoors in all-weather conditions, several times per month during the restoration season (March-November).
- Must be able to lift 35lbs.
- Must be comfortable working on a boat and in the water.
- Must be able to swim.
- Open Water SCUBA certification is a plus.
- Boating experience is a plus.
Please send resumes to [email protected] and [email protected].