NY/NJ Baykeeper’s Conservation Program preserves remaining wildlife habitat in the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary through land acquisition, innovation planning, and ecological restoration. Since 1989, NY/NJ Baykeeper and its partners have preserved and restored more than three thousand acres of critical habitat in the midst of one of the most densely-populated and industrialized ports in the region.
To date, our Conservation Program has
Why Is Protecting Open Space Important?
The NY-NJ Harbor Estuary Region is home to 20 million people and hundreds of bird, fish and wildlife species. Preserving natural habitat and open space is essential in this heavily developed area. Open space is essential to our future because it protects water supplies, improves water quality, protects flood prone areas and creates and improves parks.
- Won the battle to acquire a new 250 acre Monmouth County Park in Aberdeen Township, NJ.
- Baykeeper and allies won a 15 year fight to protect hundreds of acres of prime wetlands habitat in the Meadowlands while preventing the development of the Xanadu Mall on the site – one of the organization’s greatest victories
- Initiated interior restoration of the 250-acre natural restoration project at Liberty State Park in Jersey City
- Led the charge to acquire land to buffer and enlarge Cheesequake State Park
- Partnered with Jersey City to acquire and enlarge Hudson County’s Laurel Hill Park
- Acquired property to enlarge and protect Dismal Swamp in Middlesex County, NJ.
- Helped fund Essex County’s Passaic River Waterfront Park
- Partnered on Bloomfield, NJ proactive floodplain buyout to create the 15-acre Liongate Natural Restoration & Recreational Complex.
- Acquired property to link segments of Waackaack Creek Greenway
- Lead nonprofit in natural restoration of Lincoln Park West in Jersey City
Partners include the Port Authority of NY/NJ, the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission, the NJDEP’s Green Acres Program, Office of Natural Resource Restoration, and Parks and Forestry Programs, and Conservation Resources, Inc.